What are the benefits of attending a Trade Show for the Salon Owner?
All around the world and for decades the beauty industry has hosted annual trade shows designed for the product manufacturers to showcase their wares and for salons to see in action what is new to the industry.
The internationally recognised Cosmoprof show is hosted annually in Bologna, Hong Kong, Las Vegas and Mumbai are renown for showcasing innovative new industry techniques, products and machinery as well as halls full of packaging, cosmetics and perfumery.
Manufacturers venture to these shows often to see if there are new products or complimentary packaging options that might work well within their range. They also might be looking for competitive pricing on their current suppliers or to have OEM products manufactured for them. Salons visit to take in all the wonder, often visiting the different country pavilions if they are notably interested in a product from that area around the world.
The excitement and buzz of a tradeshow is palpable and with the setup of the stand, freight, transport and expenses of a show all costing a mint it is obvious that all the exhibitors hope for a busy and profitable show. As many of the salons choose to shop or train online these days due to the “convenience” it brings to light the question “what are the benefits of attending a show for a salon owner”? Let me give you some key points that I see beneficial for salons:
- New product launches – brands launch and demonstrate their new products at shows and often allow salons to have the treatment performed on them or to watch the treatment in action. This can mean you are one of the first to know if this product is for you. You can choose to invest further in your training with this brand after having seen it in real time minimising your risk and maximising your opportunities.
- Learning the finer details – when you meet with the manufacturers of your products or chosen ranges within your salon you will be able to hear their direction and purpose for their ingredients and techniques. These might be factors that can help you or your team sell more and educate your clients better. It might help you to understand the product better and achieve outstanding results and it can help you to save yourself some money as often salon and staff can be wasteful of products if they are not stored correctly or the correct amount is used during treatment time.
- Education – almost every tradeshow has education seminars, guest speakers, stage presentations and live demonstrations happening over the days of the show. You are guaranteed to walk away having seen something or heard of something new. These sessions can be building your business, building your brand, showcasing a new product or demonstrating a new technique and having a greater understanding of these factors make your skills more valuable
- Promotion – online promotion via Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook etc that you are advancing your education, or you have sent your team along to watch the latest in whatever trend you want to promote is a key component for your business. Your clients and any potential clients will follow and appreciate that you are working to expand your skills, knowledge or product base
- Socialising – this one is really a factor that most might not think about but as individuals working often without too much contact with anyone other than your clients, it can be a lonely world for the beauty therapist, lash or nail technician or brow stylist. You can find it near impossible to talk to your clients or friends about “this new technique or product that you really want to try” because a lot of clients or friends often won’t share the passion or the understanding that a fellow beauty enthusiast does. Surrounding yourself with likeminded, industry driven, and inspiring men and women can help you push your boundaries and improve your techniques helping you to be the very best that you can be in your chosen field.
As a brand that has exhibited at the Australian Sydney Beauty Expo for over 20 years now, we wanted to document our experience of the weekend and share with you from our perspective how important it is that we attend these annual events. Given the opportunity to meet with those who choose to use our products, discuss with them what changes we might have made or the new direction for our brand as well as what new developments we have made to the range is priceless. We have returning customers who come to our stand, year after year and it’s a wonderful opportunity to see them again and hear how their last year has been.
Our stand has grown increasingly busy over the years with the popularity of the Elleebana lash lift system, Elleebana brow henna range, Elleebana lash extensions and of course the ever amazing Belmacil lash and brow tint. This year our stand was noted in the top three busiest stands over the entire weekend at the Sydney Beauty Expo. Why not watch what we got up to, the fun that we have from behind the scenes in our quick documentary style showcase of 2018’s Sydney Beauty Expo.
“This article has been written by Zoe Mitter and produced for Ex-Import Niche Products. Modification, misuse, copying or reproduction of this content in any manner without written permission from Ex-Import Niche Products is prohibited and Copyright laws will apply. Sharing the link and giving credit to Ex-Import Niche Products for the content is allowed”.